New Jal Shakti Ministry
In the second term of the Narendra Modi government, a new ‘Jal Shakti’ ministry has been created by combining the Ministries of Water Resources and Ingesting Water and Sanitation. The work of this ministry has been assigned to Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
During the election campaign, Modi had promised to set up a unified ministry to take care of water-related points, which the Water Power Ministry has been formed following the implementation.
New Jal Shakti Ministry
Name of the scheme
|New ‘Jal Shakti’ ministry|
Honorable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi
|Benefit to Indian Citizen|
|All water associated works can be vested in a single Ministry|
Why in the news?
• The Ministry of Water Power is formed by the group of the Department of Drinking Water Sanitation and the Department of Water Assets, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
• The Ministry can be headed by BJP MP, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat
• Resolving worldwide and interstate water disputes
• Inspection Implementation of Namami Gange Project
• Advancing the river link program
• Provision of fresh drinking water to all
Water crisis statistics
• According to NITI Fee’s Composite Water Management Index 2018
• India is going through the worst (worst) water crisis in its history
• Currently around 600 million people face the problem of overdose water
• About 2 lakh people die yearly due to lack of entry to clean drinking water.
• 84% of rural households do not have access to water by pipeline
• Almost three-quarters of households do not have drinking water system
• 70% of the nation’s water is contaminated
• Groundwater to be depleted by 2020 in 21 Indian cities including New Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai and Hyderabad, affecting 100 million people
• India’s water demand is expected to double by 2030
Solution to India’s water crisis
• Implementing the suggestions of the Mihir Shah Committee
• Determining the separation system and scale of tributaries
Rationalize electricity subsidy
• Bringing water-less crops
• Efficient water irrigation system such as a raindrop or sprinkler system
• Installation of rainwater irrigation system
• Decentralizing the water management system; For instance, Hiwre Bazar model
• To create water user associations to promote citizen participation in governance.
• Promoting the use of gray water
• citizen sensitization and awareness
After assuming the cost of the Ministry of Water Energy, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat stated that “all water associated works can be vested in a single Ministry” A bold initiative to clean the Ganges river and its tributaries and sub tributaries will be included.
For the primary time, the Modi authorities began the mission of making Ganga clear, which was entrusted with the Ministry of Environment and Forests to the Ministry of Water Resources and Namami Gange Project was began with an enormous allocation.
The minister said that as per the promise made within the occasion’s manifesto, offering clear drinking water to everybody will be our priority. Ratan Lal Kataria has been made Minister of State in the newly formed ministry.